Although Egypt has always been a favourite tourism destination the Egyptian cuisine is still one of the best-kept secrets with some recipes dating back to those of the ancient pharaohs.
Chef Tutor Marina Ibrahim will introduce you to the characteristics of the Egyptian cuisine and how it distinguishes from its neighbouring Middle-Eastern and Mediterranean food. Her specialty lies on vegan and vegetarian mezze recipes including some of Egypt’s most popular must-known staples such as
1. Ful Medames (fava bean puree – one of Egypt’s favourite and most popular quick eats.
2. Koshari – most famous Egyptian street food made from rice, lentils, caramelized onions, and pasta then coated in a hearty tomato sauce
3. Shorbet Adz – fiery red lentil soup
4. Tamaya – Egypt’s delicious answer to vegetarian falafel is made from pounded broad beans mixed with lots of spices and herbs
5. Salata Tomatem – Tomato Walnut Salad
6. Baba Ghanoush – smoky aubergine dip to enjoy with grilled fish or as dip for vegetables
This course provides you with the skills for making these dishes at home. Marina will teach you about the key Egyptian ingredients and will also describe her preferred choice of suppliers for authentic ingredients and cooking methods for those of you who are particularly health conscious. The session will end with a meal of the mezze produced.
Harborne Food School offers cookery classes, professional chef demonstrations and unique food experiences in the Grade II listed Clock Tower building on Harborne High Street, Birmingham.
Harborne Food School
The School Yard,
106 High Street
West Midlands, B17 9NJ